Thursday, May 7, 2009

Procrastinating Perfectionist

I have been told that this is what I am. I am certainly a procastinator (big time), and I can be a perfectionist. I read an article one time about the different types of procrastinators, and there it was, the procrastination perfectionist (more than just nice alliteration). Apparently these people (of which I might be one) have a fear of not doing the job perfectly, and so they procrastinate doing the job because they only want to do it if they can do it perfectly. I don't think I'm on the extreme end of this, but it certainly fits me in many ways. I just typed it into google and got a lot more information about it, including a transcript of a talk that a professor did at Cal Tech.

I think that has been why I haven't updated my blog as often. I always feel so obligated to update everything I've been up to when I write my blog (for all 5 of my followers, yay, up from 2!). It has to be "perfect" - talking about everything that has been going on. Part of this is that I do want this to be an online record, or "resume" of the things that I'm doing, as I wrote about in my first post in the beginning of the year. Part of the problem is that this blog is replacing my journal (I have several floating around) that I have never been able to keep, but always wanted to. I think I have all those fictional books that are in journal/diary format stuck in my head and I am trying to follow that format. Which really isn't realistic. People don't really write that way. At least, not me! And that would be too much to write.

So, I am going to try and be better about being succint in my blogs, so that maybe I will write more often. I follow one of my friend's Livejournal blog, and she updates her blog with random thoughts. She doesn't write lengthy posts; sometimes her blogs are one lines. Once I start writing, I write a lot, generally, so I don't think that method would work for me. It also wouldn't follow my original plan for blogging. However, it does inspire me to write at least shorter blogs.

2 comments:

  1. lol you are talking about me.

    & :-p to perfectionism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yup I was talking about you.

    :-P to procrastination!

    ReplyDelete